Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.
Nadia Ghosheh, Bulletin Coordinator
Martin Grimm, Principal
Latin Convention Award Winners
On November 24-25, Hayfield sent 26 students to Virginia’s Annual Latin Convention in Richmond. The convention is attended by approximately 1,500 students annually by high schools and middle schools located all over Virginia. The convention has activities including academic tests, graphic and creative arts competitions, lecture sessions, informal games, and a talent show. Below are the awards that we took home!
These are very competitive awards, with generally around 100 competitors on every level of each academic test, and awards are given only to the top ten placements. Overall, Hayfield did exceptionally well, and we are exceedingly proud of our award winners!
BEST IN SHOW – Creative Arts (Impromptu Art) – Best Creative Arts Submission
Sweepstakes Winner – 9th grader, overall achievement
Jordan Kirkpatrick - 5th (i.e. Jordan was the 5th highest overall scoring 9th grader at the convention).
- Nathan Claflin - 6th place mottoes
- Alexander Molina - 1st place grammar, 8th place vocabulary
- Patrick Rebar - 1st place mottoes
- Jordan Kirkpatrick - 2nd place mottoes, 2nd place vocabulary, 3rd place pentathlon, 4th place reading comprehension, 6th place derivatives, 8th place grammar
- Nathan Grunkemeyer - 6th place mottoes, 6th place grammar
- Samantha Rutledge - 1st place grammar, 1st place vocabulary
- Alex Shepard - 1st place pentathlon, 5th place mottoes, 8th vocabulary, 9th reading comprehension, 10th derivatives
- John Berrigan - 5th place myth
- Jade Galligan - 8th place mottoes
- Joohun Lee - 2nd place mottoes, 4th place life, 5th place derivatives, 5th place pentathlon
- Leela Ohri - 3rd place derivatives, 4th place mottoes, 5th place myth, 10th place pentathlon
Creative Arts Awards:
3rd place 11th grade small models - Kaylee Chan
3rd place 11th grade Roman games – Kaylee Chan
3rd place 9th/10th grade modern myth essay contest – Leela Ohri
3rd place 12th English Oratory – Olivia Henry
2019 - 2020 Hayfield PTSA Reflections Winners
Congratulations to all our HSS PTSA Reflections award-winning students on their wonderful entries interpreting this year’s theme: Look Within. Four entries (marked with an * below) have advanced to the county-wide competition. Good luck to all our advancing artists!
Alexandra Wong – Outstanding Interpretation *
Olivia Henry – Outstanding Interpretation*
Isaiah Mamo – Award of Excellence
Darya Mason – Award of Merit
Charlotte Uehling – Outstanding Interpretation*
Milan Rey – Award of Excellence
Hanna Pham – Award of Merit
Emily Olson – Outstanding Interpretation*
Cassidy Mazyck – Award of Excellence
Laura M. Defillo Rosado – Award of Merit
Alexandra Wong – Award of Merit
Suma Gakuen Visited Hayfield SS
On Friday, November 8th, Hayfield hosted their 7th Suma Gakuen visit from Kobe, Japan. We hosted 129 9th graders who joined in regular classrooms and lunch with their partner students who are taking Japanese at Hayfield. Although their language skills are still limited, it was nice, as always, to see these young people communicating and building friendship!
Prior to the classroom visit, the students enjoyed each other’s cultural presentations. This year, the Hayfield Step Team joined the assembly and performed for us. It was a powerful performance representing American culture. The students also sang a Japanese song called “Best Friend” together with some orchestra students who played their instruments. It was a very beautiful moment for them doing something together as a group with friends from the other side of the globe.
Thank you very much for visiting Hayfield, Suma Gakuen!
7630 Telegraph Rd Alexandria, VA 22315 | Main Office: 703-924-7400
Attendance: 703-924-7419 | Web | Twitter