A Link Between Home and School
|Haga clic aquí para el español
|The Family Liaisons at Hayfield Secondary School:
Liliana Traweek (Spanish, English- @email, 703-924-7532)
Robert Barnes (English- @email, 703-924-7691)
The Location of the Parent Liaison Office:
Room 1504A (Across hall from Main Gym, next to Auditorium)
Who Are Family Liaisons?
Family liaisons are school staff members who work with both parents and staff. They help you get the information and assistance you need to support your child at home and ensure your child’s success in school.
Family liaisons serve as a communication link between home and school. They welcome and orient families to the school and familiarize them with Fairfax County Public Schools’ procedures and practices.
Why Do Schools Have Family Liaisons?
Schools have family liaisons because family liaisons know a great deal about your child’s school and community. They are a valuable resource for you. They can connect you with the appropriate people within the school or community who can help you meet your family’s needs.
The family liaisons establish and build successful working relationships with the families of all children in the school. They appreciate the school’s cultural diversity and work to foster unity, cohesiveness, and cooperation among all families and staff.
All family liaisons are proficient in English; many speak one or more additional languages.
How Do Family Liaisons Help Families?
- Attend conferences and school meetings with you to help ensure successful two-way dialogue.
- Assist you with completing school forms.
- Explain school goals, policies, procedures, and programs.
- Provide information to you about school and community resources and services.
- Encourage and arrange opportunities for open communication between you and school staff.
- Encourage parent involvement and leadership in the school.
- Arrange for language interpreters for you at school meetings.